Read the world: a map

I’ve made an interactive map to show which countries I’ve read books from.

Short version: I’ve read books from the countries marked blue or green, but not the ones marked yellow or red.

Blue are books I had already read before starting the challenge.
Green are books read since starting the challenge. Red is for countries I haven’t read yet; a black dot means a country I have an idea for.
Yellow is for countries where I have a copy of the book waiting to be read.

View Larger Map

1. 5 August 2008 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Beat me to it. I was working on a map.

I can’t get yours to load or I’d see if I can steal it!

5 August 2008 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Well, if you want to use Google Maps / Google Earth, I can export the KML file with all my placemarks in it for you if you want: you’ll still have to edit them, but it’ll save you some time.

3. 5 August 2008 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

I got my map up and running. It tried to destroy me and my whole life (or at least my blog) but it’s running!

6 August 2008 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

BTW, is my map still not loading for you?

It’s only an embedded Google map so I don’t know why it would be a problem. :(

5. 6 August 2008 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Oh, I was initially trying to see it while at work. NOTHING loads at work. It works now! :)

7 August 2008 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Good :)

7. Rajib
    15 December 2008 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Hi, I want to export Google map files in KML/KMZ format. Can you please help me regarding this??
    Rajib

15 December 2008 at 10:55 am | Permalink

If you make a map using the My Maps function in Google Maps, there should be a blue link in the title bar saying ‘View in Google Earth’, but it only displays if you have Google Earth installed on your computer, I think. In fact when I just tried it, it only worked if I actually had Google Earth running, although I’m not sure that’s what supposed to happen.

Anyway, you click the link and it exports the data as a KML file.

9. 2 December 2009 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Hi Harry,

If you’re looking for a suggestion for South Korea, how about The Poet by Yi Mun-Yol? It’s a fictionalised biography of a nineteenth century poet, who has to deal with familial punishment for his grandfather’s treason and his own responsibilities as a citizen and poet. (The author’s father defected to North Korea.) I read it a few years back and would be interested to know what you think.

2 December 2009 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I hadn’t really thought much about Korea yet, but that certainly sounds like a possibility… I actually need to order some more books soon, so I’ll have a look.

One Trackback

1. By Heraclitean Fire » Reading is a way round the world on 1 September 2008 at 12:57 pm

[…] Details below the fold. You can also see which countries I’ve ticked off on a map here. […]