shook foil

I know why the phrase ‘like shining from shook foil’ is in my head — because I was putting some foil over a dish of coronation chicken. More peculiar is the other thing that’s been going around my head this morning:

“Bush and Saddam sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G”.

I think it’s unlikely that either of the Presidents Bush have ever snogged Saddam Hussein, and even if they have, a tree would be an unorthodox venue. But I suppose you never know.

1. 8 July 2006 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I happened to come across this post while browsing through Technorati. I just wanted to say that I’ve never heard the phrase “like shining from shook foil” before. Where does that come from?

8 July 2006 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

It’s from a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins:

God’s Grandeur

THE world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
    Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
    Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell: the soil
    Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.
    And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
    And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
    Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

3. Rui
    8 July 2006 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

i was discussing this poem with my students, and they made the tongue-in-cheek suggestion that this entire poem is about a divine barbecue. And the evidence?

1. ‘flame out’
    2. ‘shook foil’
    3. ‘the ooze of oil’
    4. ‘rod’ (ie skewer)
    5. ‘warm breast’
    6. ‘wings’

That totally cracked me up.

8 July 2006 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

mmmm… just now, a barbecue would be divine.

5. cookie
    9 July 2006 at 4:36 am | Permalink

heh. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. good’un. haven’t seen you around PFFA much lately – it seems like everyone is really busy for one reason or another. hope to see you back soon.

9 July 2006 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Oh well, I pop in most days, but I’m not actually writing any poetry at the moment.